Monday, May 27, 2013

Ryan's Clothes Beyond the Pines


It's no secret that Ryan Gosling's future is looking pretty good. No, I'm not talking about his face and body (even though that would be a lovely subject), but I'm talking about his talent. Ryan was my prediction of 'The Actor to Watch' in 2013 and well...I hope you watched him on the big screen in his new movie 'The Place Beyond the Pines' starring alongside Bradley Cooper and Eva Mendez.
The Place Beyond the Pines is more a father-son tale as the movie starts with Ryan finding out Eva Mendez is carrying his child. Don't even get me started on the fact that I only got to see him the first 47 minutes of the 2 hours and 20 minutes movie. Putting that aside I have to point out that Ryan's TPBtP character has some serious style. 



Ryan went beach blond and all tatted up for this role and it payed off, he was unrecognizable because it's nothing like the rest of his roles. He owned it, acted like it was nothing while looking good - sorry great.
But then I realized that I haven't felt that way since I saw James Dean's "Rebel Without a Cause".

Yes, I was thinking of James Dean as I was watching Ryan play a masterpiece of a role that doesn't come along everyday. I'd like to think that The Place Beyond the Pines is the sequel to Rebel Without a Cause as rebel then isn't the same as rebel now. Both James and Ryan played their roles beautifully as they created a character that has no limits whatsoever.



Let's Break Down Ryan's Style Throughout the Entire Movie:

Eva Mendez - Ryan Gosling
The first thing I noticed was his awesome folded and tucked in 'Metallica' shirt that he paired with biker pants with drops of white paint on them.
Ryan's character robs a couple of banks to provide for his 'lover' and child - aww sensitive, hot and bad - might I say he even managed to personalize a tracksuit by adding sunglasses with bright green on the sides.
Another outfit I really loved were the grey jeans with a white shirt and his red jacket.


 

The first few minutes of TPBtP I was wondering where the sleeveless shirts were because they make guys look tougher especially when they have guns and a lot of tattoos. I'm so glad that Ryan didn't disappoint. We get to see a sleeveless hoodie and a sleeveless grey shirt.


Can't believe I'm about to say this but his white shirt with the holes made his character even more real and messed up at the same time.




The Fashion highlight of the movie was in fact this next outfit. Every separate piece of this outfit was included one way or another in another outfit. I'm talking about a red leather biker jacket with a white shirt (with holes in it) and a pair of black trousers with skulls on them. The complete outfit also has a dark green handkerchief (covering his nose and mouth), black heavy boots and dark blue gloves. Also completing his outfit is his Bad-Boy-Beach-Blond act.



The Director of TPBtP is also the Director of Blue Valentine in which Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams played. As you can understand Ryan is known for his character Noah in The Notebook. During the press conference he admitted that the Director Derek Cianfrance really made him push the limits of his character.
Ryan: ''When I first started filming the scene where I am robbing the bank, I looked down and women were smiling and filming me with their cell phones. Derek was very angry and blamed me for not being scary enough because they were having a great time being robbed. He made me do 22 takes of trying to scare them and at a certain point I got desperate and that's what you see in the film.''
I've noticed that a lot of Ryan Gosling fans have an issue with seeing him like this, but I truly enjoy these roles because I know Ryan can't stay 'Noah' forever. No actor that wants to have an Academy Award on their name can do that. I'm so glad that Ryan got out of that type of character because he was a child TV-star and the movie The Believer got him out of that phase. We will see more Luke (Ryan's character in TPBtP) roles than Noah roles Ryan said at the end of last year. 'Drive' also starring Carey Mulligan and 'Gangster Squad' also starring Sean Penn, Emma Stone and Josh Brolin are more roles leaning towards Luke.


I haven't compared anyone to James except to Ryan now & to Heath Ledger when I saw his movie Candy. They both have the drive that James had when playing a character. He exceeded his roles by creating a character that fills in the blanks and is more real. It's a shame we won't be able to see Heath in a new movie again but Ryan has some exciting movies coming up. 'Only God Forgives' is one of them. Ryan's past work include The Believer, The Notebook and The Ides of March. Ryan was nominated for an Oscar for 'Half Nelson' and a Golden Globe for 'Blue Valentine'.
Fingers crossed for Ryan winning an Academy Award anytime soon!
Much Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? Yes I would love to read them!
DiFashionista is an Independent Fashion blog written by Dionne Gesser, who finds it a priority to connect with (future) members and readers.