Saturday, July 5, 2014

4 the Love of Music #9


In the last edition this blog celebrated the 1 year anniversary of 4 the Love of Music. One year has passed and many more to come. Here is the 9th edition!
I'll stick to the theme of today and present you with a 4 the Love of Music Edition with some Independent "Indie" musicians, who made it to the list of my favorite songs. 


"Waking Up with the Pouring Rain, Same Old Sun and the Sky Again"

Foy Vance, is surely an underappreciated singer and songwriter who toured with Ed Sheeran. I first heard his music on noisetrade, my favorite music website, and I've been hooked on his music ever since. He often releases free music on iTunes, like his video for "Joy of Nothing" and the single "Closed Hand, Full Friends", and on noisetrade, "Dark Horse". It's difficult to pick one favorite song from his collection 'cause he doesn't really make one type of music, but "Joy of Nothing" and "Indiscriminate Act of Kindness" have a special place in my heart. "Joy of Nothing" is not a song with many words, but the few words are fundamentally meaningful. It's simple, he's enjoying the things that will always be there like the rain, the sun and the sky, and I hope you will too!


Foy Vance -
Joy of Nothing
Album: Joy of Nothing




"It's Not About Win or Lose Because We All Lose When They Feed on the Souls of the Innocent"

Not a lot of Grammy nominated musicians are willing to put some of their music for free on the internet, but then again not a lot of musicians can stay grounded like Matisyahu. If you're wondering why his name sounds familiar it's because you probably know "King Without a Crown", which is his biggest hit. Ask me anything you want about Matisyahu, I know it all. In High School we had to pick a reggae artist to talk about and I picked this reggae rapper. If you ever have time, you should read his bio, he has had a pretty interesting life. Although "King Without a Crown" is epic and eccentric, my favorite song of his is and will always be "One Day". "One Day" was chosen to be the anthem of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. I'm not surprised, I mean, he's addressing the state of separating yourself from all the negativity around you. But, it's more than that. It's about being thankful and looking forward to that ONE DAY that the war will be over.



Matisyahu -
One Day
Album: Light



"I Went Out to Find My Soul and Left the Only Comfort that I'd Known"

The music industry isn't what it used to be, I mean, listening to and buying an entire album is so outdated. It just doesn't happen anymore. Now comes a band that made an entire album, this year, worth buying. The year hasn't ended yet, but they might have the best album that was released this year. I compare their album to Black Eyed Peas' Monkey Business, which is one of the most creative albums ever made. That's what makes this band so amazing - their creativity.
Neon Trees have been doing pretty well in the Indie scene with their previous work, "Habits" and "Picture Show". Now, comes an album "Pop Psychology" that's more personal, romantic and coming-of-age than they're used to. Vocally and lyrically it's their best album and it's definitely more for the die-hard-fans. It doesn't have a lot of room for radio hits, even though most of the songs are upbeat, they're not the radio-type upbeat. But, it's fantastic festival music. Lyrically, if you've heard the album a couple of times, you will understand that it hits a nerve to whoever made the music. But, then again, I'm assuming you already know about Tyler Glenn's, coming out article. That doesn't stop the album from being emotional, fierce and positive at the same time, in a way that we all have roller coaster emotions when we're going through a rough time.
If I had to name the songs you have to check out, you'd be here all day. And since you want to be here all day I'd say check out "I Love You (But I Hate Your Friends)", "Love in the 21st Century", "Living in Another World", "Text Me in the Morning", "Foolish Behaviour" and "Unavoidable". But, a song lyric from "First Things First" explains what the entire album is about: "I went out to find my soul and left the only comfort that I'd known". 


Neon Trees -
First Things First
Album: Pop Psychology



"The More I Make the Less that I Borrow"

Somehow I always feel like a rockstar when I listen to Tyler Hilton - maybe it's the fact that he played Elvis in Walk the Line, or the fact that he was bad *ss in One Tree Hill or the fact that he has a raspy raw voice that seems to fit on every song he ever sings. Who knows? There's no way to explain it, either way ill take it! - see what I did there...! You can get this song (and many more) for FREE on noisetrade. Tyler selected a couple of songs like Prince of Nothing Charming, Loaded Gun and a cover of Missing You and released them in an album, The Studio and Live Selections. You should also check out his YouTube channel where he covers many songs like Lana Del Rey's Video Games and Bob Dylan's Boots of Spanish Leather.


Tyler Hilton - 
Kicking My Heels
Album: Forget the Storm



It's no secret that I'm a huge Michael Fassbender fan, which also means that I'm fully aware of the bromance between him and James McAvoy. But, more importantly, are you aware of the moves Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Hugh Jackman have?


After this you must be wondering what goes on, on the set of X-Men. Or, you're wondering when the next edition of "4 the Love of Music" will be released. The answer is October. But, I will release a couple of articles soon. Also, catch up on the editions you missed. To stay posted sign up or follow this blog on twitter, facebook and google+.
Much Love,
DiFashionista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts? Yes I would love to read them!
DiFashionista is an Independent Fashion blog written by Dionne Gesser, who finds it a priority to connect with (future) members and readers.